1. Can the test be done without testing the mother?
Yes. The test can be done without the mother. Even without the mother we still guarantee at least a 99.99% probability of paternity.
2. Why does mom need to be tested? (Since we already know she is the mother.)
Children receive half of their DNA from their mother and half from their father. By comparing the mother and child's DNA we can tell which parts of the child's DNA came from the mother. This lets us know that the remaining part of the child's DNA came from the biological father---so we know what to compare to the tested man.
4. We are not giving our specimens at the same time. How do I know the right person was tested?
A Polaroid photograph is taken of everyone tested. Occasionally an "imposter" will come in for a test. Most often when this occurs the alleged father sends a friend in to have his specimen taken. When this happens the mother can look at the photograph and tell us that the man tested was not the alleged father.
5. Isn't blood better than cheek swabs?
No, your DNA is the same throughout your body. As a result, the source of the DNA sample does not affect the accuracy of a DNA paternity test.
Before DNA testing it was necessary to use blood in order to have a paternity test. It was also necessary to wait until a child was 6 months old. Those types of tests were HLA and red cell antigen tests. Since DNA testing began to be used for paternity in the early 1990s, the older type of blood tests have become less common.
DNA testing is not limited to blood samples. The source of your DNA doesn't matter. The DNA from your cheek cells is exactly the same as the DNA from your blood. The accuracy of a paternity test is exactly the same, whether the laboratory tests blood or cheek cells from swabs. The reliability of a DNA test is not based on the type of specimen used, but on the type and amount of DNA testing performed by the laboratory.
6. Can the test give the wrong result?
Yes, the test can give the wrong result. DNA Paternity Testing, LLC™ takes many extra precautions during the collection process to insure the integrity of the test is not compromised by careless handling of the specimens. The sample is then placed in a tamper proof package and sent via overnight carrier directly to a lab that is certified and accredited by the American Association of Blood Banks, AABB.
If the child and the tested man do not match at three or more tested DNA locations, then the tested man can not be the biological father of the child.
DNA Paternity Testing, LLC™ guaranties a minimum probability of paternity of 99.99%. At a 99.99% probability of paternity, on average the identified genetic pattern will fit no more than 1 in every 10,000 men. Most of our tests are even more discriminating than that.
7. What if the test comes back at 70% or 80%? What does that mean?
A test from DNA Paternity Testing, LLC™ will not be 70% or 80%. The results will be either a 99.99% probability of paternity or greater, or a 0% probability of paternity. If the result is 0% then the tested man can not be the biological father of the child.
8. Is the test confidential? Who can get the results?
The test is completely confidential. The mother of the child and all adults tested are entitled to receive the results of the test, as well as copies of the pictures of everyone who was tested. The only other people who can get results of the test are those designated by the tested adults. For example, the mother and alleged father may want results sent to their attorneys.
No one else can get any information about the test. They can not even find out whether an individual was tested, unless we have permission from a tested individual to give out that information.
The mother and alleged father are not able to receive personal information about each other. For example, DNA Paternity Testing, LLC™ will not give the mother information such as the alleged father's social security number or address.
9. I have black hair and brown eyes. How can I have a baby with blonde hair and blue eyes?
Physical traits like specific hair and eye color can be either dominant or recessive. For example, your mother may have given you DNA that would result in blue eyes, but your father may have given you DNA that would result in brown eyes. Brown eyes are dominant over blue eyes, and therefore your eyes are brown. You still have the DNA for blue eyes that your mother gave you, and that is just as likely to be passed along to your child as the DNA for brown eyes that your father gave you. The same is true for hair color and other physical traits.